Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Of Chicken and Men

A few things regarding the whole Dan Cathy/Chik-Fil-A debate:

1. I will not eat at Chik-Fil-A today, which has been deemed as "Chik-Fil-A Appreciation Day". Why not? I think it's great that a company, no matter what they believe, stands for what they believe in, whether it be traditional marriage, gay rights, the right to raise llamas in your backyard, whatever. Not only that, but it's Dan Cathy's right as an American to say and believe and support whatever he wants. The intent of this appreciation day is to say that it's perfectly okay for businesses and organizations on the political right to stand up for what they believe in, and you know what? It is. But I believe that this Chik-Fil-A appreciation day would only serve to fuel the divide between the Christian and LGBT communities. Personally, I have Christian values and have many Christian friends whom I love dearly. But I also have many friends in the LGBT community whom I love no more or less than my Christian ones. It seems to me that if I want to affirm a company/organization/person's right to say what they want, I don't need a special, emotionally charged day to show my support. 

2. I will, however, still eat at Chik-Fil-A occasionally. Why? Because I like their chicken sandwiches. Personally, I don't have time to nit pick every company that I put every dollar into and not buy from those that don't support what I believe in. It's exhausting. Plus, I'm not one for boycotting. So I will watch The Muppets while eating my Chik-Fil-A sandwich and waffle fries chased with an Oreo milkshake and be perfectly content.  *See Edit

3. I am disappointed at the reactions from both sides of the debate. Aren't Christians called to love one another? And by "one another", it's not meant to mean just other Christians. So how is judging people in the LGBT community loving them? Christians are called to be the "hands and feet of Christ", and Jesus was one to reach out and love on those that religious zealots deemed as "unclean" or "sinners", so why aren't those so outspoken on the issue more focused on creating personal relationships with those on the other side of the fence?

And shouldn't those who support LGBT rights and demand equality and want people to "treat others how they would want to be treated" do the same even with those who disagree with them? So how is setting up and participating in a "kiss-in" treating others how you would want to be treated? If you were dining at a restaurant that supported gay marriage, would you want to have a bunch of heterosexual couples start making out in front of that restaurant to prove a point? I know when I'm out dining with my family and small child, I don't want to be subject to abundant PDA, regardless of whether the couple is gay/lesbian or heterosexual.

It seems to me that if people would just practice what they preached, we'd all live in a happier place.

Love and Equality for all, even those who don't believe in the same things I do.


EDIT: Admittedly, I hadn't done much research on the subject when I made this post. After reading up some more on the issue, I have decided that until Chik-Fil-A stops donating money to organizations that are working to make being gay a crime, I will not be eating there, and will encourage others to do the same. A company that truly operates on "biblical principles" would reflects Christ's heart with their pocketbook as well as with words. There are plenty of Christian organizations out there that don't actively encourage hating groups of people.

EDIT 2: A friend of mine just linked Wayne Self's blog post on Facebook. I thought it was very inspiring and well-thought out as well. Take a gander.

No comments:

Post a Comment